Friday, September 13, 2013

HOW TO distress denim







what you need:
  • a piece of denim clothing: jeans, shorts, skirt, vest/jacket, ...
  • scissors
  • tweezers
  • a fine grater or sandpaper
  • a marker/pencil

what you do:
  • there are different ways to distress your piece of clothing and I'm going to show you a couple of them, but of course you don't have to do all of them! Just choose whichever you like the best :)
  • I bought this denim vest in a second hand shop for a couple of dollars and decided to spruce it up a little
  • I started by cutting off the seem of the "arm holes" because they were a little too wide for my petite figure (I actually went back a little later with the tweezers to fray that out a little, so you can do that right after cutting it)
  • then I took the scissors to cut some slits into one of the pockets
  • when you're doing this on your jeans or something, make sure that you don't accidentally cut into the pocket or you might loose stuff later on!
  • take your tweezers and start pulling out the vertical blue strings to fray out the slits (NOT the white horizontal ones!)
  • the first one or two might be a little hard to pull out, but after that it gets pretty easy! 
  • tip: pull them out a little sideways, that makes it even easier to do as well as cutting the slits pretty close!
  • I did that on 3 different spots on my vest: on the front pocket I made kind of a square shape and on the other to spots I changed up the lengths of the slits
  • I'm not going to lie to you, pulling out the small blue strings does take some time to do, but you can choose how many you want to do of them and you dont have to pull out all of the strings, that's totally up to you! If you like you can also watch a movie while doing it, that gets it done so much faster :)
  • you can also cut a little hole (instead of slits) into the clothing somewhere and fray out the edges with your tweezers
  • the last thing I did was using the grater (sandpaper will work, too)
  • again I chose different spots to do it
  • just take the grater and rub it on your piece of denim: you can choose how large these spots should be and how much you want to distress them
  • another tip: you can kind of scrunch up some of the other fabric underneath the spot your rubbing, I find that gives you better and quicker results!
  • if you like you can wash your denim now and put it in the dryer after that, to add to the fraying you did :)

 











2 comments: